Friday, January 30, 2015

Free-motion Faux Bois / Woodgrain Quilting

On the machine right now for my favorite free-motion design--faux bois or wood grain.
Faux bois dates back to Revolutionary war times and beyond, and enjoys a special place in the quilting-pattern repertoire as one that can transition easily between traditional and modern quilts.


This top came about as the result of an error in a magazine pattern that left me with hundreds of unusable half-square triangles.


Well, not unusable for long. I did some fussy-cutting on these very dignified roosters from the stash and managed to get together a quilt top that is, I think, better than the one originally planned. 


I think I will try some twin-needle quilting on the blocks themselves, so as not to distract from the interest of the wood grain, since I planned the extra-wide lattice sashing specifically with the wood grain quilting in mind.


Hoping to have this and a couple of others ready for binding soon!