Tuesday, February 3, 2015

Project planning, Spring To-Do List: Fabric Selections

Getting on top of my goal to sew up about half of the fabric waiting for its turn is proving difficult, but I think it can be managed if I can just stop fiddle-faddling around and make up my mind.  Cutting into a brand new piece of gorgeous material has always been one of the hardest things for me.

Still, it must be done, so here are some of my most stable project plans for now, starting with that intuitive and delightful process: color, texture and design weight planning.
 
 
This first is a rather boho-style combination that makes my fingers itch for a really great pattern to go with it.  I'm quite tempted by a couple over at Jennie's pattern shop.  I'm thinking of Catching Rays, as it allows for a larger swath of fabric to show, and I love that.  All of Jennie's patterns have a great balance, but I think her latest is my favorite to date.
 
 
 
Next is one of the most traditional and certainly the most regal purple color palette I have ever put together, this one calls for careful planning.  I love the birds in the Jacobean floral, as bird watching is something I have always enjoyed.  Jay has picked up on the same interest.  Normally I despise Thomas Kinkade anything, but the Kinkade tree fabric at bottom right is meant as a blender and binding, so I don't feel too wretchedly superficial about it.

 
 
This one will be too late for Christmas, but then again, it might come right in time for next year.  And of course, it's never too late for beautiful horses and a gorgeous batik!  I'm thinking a traditional pointed star around fussy-cut centers.  I'm not completely averse to lily blocks, but I'd like to do something a little different.


 
A not-quite Baroque concerto ensemble in warm tones.  The toile is leftover from I think at least two other projects.  The gold damask as well.  You know how you have to reinvent a fabric so many times over as you try to use up every last bit?  I dislike keeping track of tiny scraps, but I'll show you what I do with all of THOSE later... ;)


 
And the above, quite simply because maps and kraft belong together...


 
For an Urban Blues / City rain layout I've been contemplating...
 
 
 
 And, finally the above were picked from a clearance bin to try out the pattern for a modern lattice quilt in a bold primary color scheme.



Moving right along, this week has a lot of potential to change the next few weeks or even months for us.  I will be away from the garden AND the sewing machine for awhile, but hopefully I can make some progress on my reading list, some writing and a little hand needlework (hence my big push to have at least three quilts ready to bind soon).  I'll no more on that score, but will just add a hope that we all be more aware of and charitable towards others.  We just never know the depth or breadth of what another may face on any given day.  I am grateful for those who help me through such times and hope that a bit of slower pace will help Robin and Jay learn greater gentleness and consideration too.  Let us all learn daily to be more kind.

With cheerful good wishes,
--Kathryn