Sunday, May 10, 2015

Harvesting Chamomile

Good morning lovelies!  I am going to show you one of my favorite spring harvesting joys:
 
 
 
Chamomile!  It is oh-so-delightful and I find myself intentionally brushing up against it whenever I walk past.  I've noticed my cat loves to rest around it, too.  He's not so fond of it as the enormous catmint out front, but that's to be expected. 
 
Be warned, if you have serious daisy-family allergies you may not want to grow chamomile in large masses right beneath your window, because these simple-seeming little flowers are potent. 
 
I wish you could smell the lovely fresh scent this morning...
 
 
Not only is chamomile great for herbal healing and insomnia remedies, it's also very useful around the house and garden.  I had a batch of nicely sun-dried flowers from the other day that I accidentally sprayed water on while playing around with Robin and Jay.  No worries, though, because that batch became anti-fungal spray for seedlings, to prevent damping-off and (I hope) as a preventive against early blight on the nightshades (tomatoes, eggplant, potatoes).
And besides, the guys and I were having a great time anyway....