Wednesday, March 16, 2016

Ready to Grow Again

 It's that time again.
 
Seed catalogues are your bedside reading.
You sort and resort all your seed packets and draw diagrams with a fervor bordering on OCD.
You do your seed germination tests and start to get really serious about the winter weeds that didn't really seem all that bad in December.
 
That's right.  It's the time when gardeners start to really come alive.
And here at least, it has happened FAST.  Too fast for me, really.  It has not been my best winter thus far, and I'm not as on top of things as I'd planned to be.  (Are any of us, ever?)  Still...
 
Here's this year's clean slate:
 

 
Well, you know.  Clean-ish.  I'm hiring one of the young women from Church to come and do some of the weeding for me to get it looking more respectable, but the garden beds THEMSELVES are ready.  If I had my way, I'd probably be out digging holes for the fruit trees I'd planned to put in this season.  But more on that later.

 
Robin took up his sidewalk chalk again with gusto as soon as the weather turned here.  Any guesses as to what he's working on here?
 
...Yep, that's right.  It's his garden plan.  Plums, oranges, carrots, tomatoes, blueberries and lemons.
In rows.
I love this kid.
 
 
So... will you be trying any new varieties this year?  What's your favorite seed catalog *today*?
Are you row-covering your early crops yet?
 
Be well, be happy in the sunshine once again...and do beware the pollen too.
 
--Kathryn